Our team offers extensive expertise across a range of disciplines including planning, environment, land compensation, property services and energy and resources.
By involving Lavan Legal in your business you attract the benefit of legal professional privilege, a significant protection in certain circumstances.
Lavan Legal can assist with any matter with an environmental component, regardless of the industry. We offer a range of different perspectives, including:
- advice and guidance with respect to the application of, and compliance with, local, State and Federal environmental legislation;
- due diligence work;
- issues associated with the Clean Energy Legislative Package and National Greenhouse Energy Reporting Act 2007;
- advice regarding the conditions attached to environmental licences and development approvals;
- environmental litigation;
- advice on the property rights and liabilities that attach to interests such as water and contaminated sites; and
- guidance on the environmental obligations relating to mining tenements and development projects.
Complementing our environment expertise is our specialised planning and land compensation experience. Click here for more details.
Environmental issues are of critical concern in all planning and land development projects. We offer specialist advice on all aspects of State and Federal environmental legislation and regulations and regularly advise clients on approvals required under the Environmental Protection Act 1986 (WA), including part IV Approvals (including appeals), Environmental Impact Assessments (EIA), part V Approvals (industry works approvals, premises, licences, clearing permits), advice on all aspects of the Contaminated Sites Act 2003 (WA) and enforcement and prosecution (including environmental incident management).
Our team can offer guidance and expertise in relation to climate change legislation, including advising on all aspects of the National Greenhouse and Energy Reporting Act 2007, and the Clean Energy Act 2011.
We offer in-depth advice on referrals and approvals required under the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 and have been involved in significant Federal Court litigation challenging the Federal department interpretation of ‘significant impact’.
Our Environment Team draws on experience and expertise from across all disciplines to ensure that our clients and their projects are kept abreast of relevant changes in this rapidly evolving area of law. Our advice encompasses:
- reporting obligations under the National Greenhouse and Energy Reporting Act 2007, including compliance issues;
- all aspects of the Clean Energy Legislative Package;
- contract due diligence to ensure reporting obligations and carbon cost pass through clauses are adequately provided for; and
- analysis of carbon trading and sustainability options for your business.
Energy and resources
The Energy and Resources Team provides indispensable input with respect to aspects of major projects and transactions in the mining, oil and gas and infrastructure sectors coupled with significant expertise in energy regulation and access.
Our Property Services Team brings invaluable experience and key skills to the Environment Team. They can provide advice regarding the practical implications of environmental legislation on landowners, potential purchasers and tenants, in particular in relation to the Contaminated Sites Act 2003 (WA). In addition, the team can assist in achieving the best outcome for you through the effective drafting of contracts between parties and managing the risk on the acquisition or disposal of property holdings, including known or suspected contaminated sites.